The new Harvard University Sustainability Principles:
- Demonstrating institutional practices that promote sustainability, including measures to increase efficiency and use of renewable resources and to decrease production of waste and hazardous materials, both in Harvard’s own operations and those of its suppliers
- Promoting health, productivity, and safety of the University community through design and maintenance of the built environment
- Enhancing the health of campus ecosystems and increasing the diversity of native species
- Developing planning tools to enable comparative analysis of sustainability implications and to support long-term economic, environmental, and socially responsible decision-making
- Encouraging environmental inquiry and institutional learning throughout the University community
- Establishing indicators for sustainability that will enable monitoring, reporting, and continuous improvement.
via Alex Steffen